Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  21:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
Some of you know the Cafe is getting a pretty hefty facelift in the next week or two.

One of the things that I really wanted to do this time was feature some of the community work in the design.

What I've done is kind-of removed the site branding on the top of the page. No more red rock texture or 3D text, etc. The header area will be randomly grabbed from a pool of user-generated images.

That's where you come in =)

Here is a basic template for the new header.

You can grab this image and use it in photoshop to test out your design.

What I'm looking for is really nicely designed 3D peices that fit the format. The upper right hand section will have a title in it (stratacafe, of course =) so try to avoid a lot of contrast in that area. If I like an image, but it doesn't work in that corner, I'll fade it back a bit there or put a solid-colored box there to accommodate. It doesn't have to be blank, but a low contrast area like a sky or a wall or something works best.

The bottom right-hand corner will contain credit (image by Alan Smithee), and will link to a page of your choosing. Either your personal homepage, or your profile here, or whatever. A little bit of added exposure. Avoid high contrast or detail in this area. Again, if it's busy there, I'll fade it back a bit or give myself a background.

If you have images to submit, either do so in this thread or email them to me directly. Keep in mind that there's only one judge this time: me =) Don't feel bad if your image isn't chosen, you can always send more =)

I'll start with the best images, and we'll go from there. Maybe up to 10-15 images total, with images being "retired" as new cool entries are submitted. I'd like to keep a steady roster of fresh work in there.

I guess we need some "rules".

1) Image has to be rendered in Strata3D
2) No nudity, racial slurs, offensive language, etc.
3) No text. Please don't use this as a medium to make a point or advertise a service. If it's part of a product name, or is otherwise a part of the scene, that's fine.

4) Anything else, at my discretion. People always try to sneak around the rules. If it isn't appropriate for the site, I won't use it. Simple as that.

There aren't any "prizes" but your image will be featured on the top of a very popular site, and will link to your personal site. Should be some nice exposure, and you'll be contributing to the look and feel of your favourite website =)

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if there is anything confusing about the "activity". I'll update this post as necessary to address concerns.

Happy rendering =)

Michael Luscombe

T-Bear
Inquisitive

Denmark
77 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  05:35:29  Show Profile
Hi Michael

What a great idea, but Where do you want us to send these images?

Cheers

Thorbjørn Haarup Laursen
Go to Top of Page

teepoj
A Regular

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  05:52:28  Show Profile  Send teepoj an AOL message
If you have images to submit, either do so in this thread or email them to me directly. Keep in mind that there's only one judge this time: me =) Don't feel bad if your image isn't chosen, you can always send more =)

The engines have made me deaf, not blind
Go to Top of Page

T-Bear
Inquisitive

Denmark
77 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  06:15:15  Show Profile
Here is my contribution to the "contest" I hope i will make the cut....

Cheers

Thorbjørn Haarup Laursen
Go to Top of Page

T-Bear
Inquisitive

Denmark
77 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  06:21:17  Show Profile
Here is my second contribution to the "contest" I also hope this will make the cut....

Cheers

Thorbjørn Haarup Laursen
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  12:54:33  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
Wow, Thorbjorn. Great entries =)

The site is going to be quite a bit brighter this time around. The second one is perfect, but the first might be a little dark.

Here's what the second would look like in the template:

I did have to lighten the left side of the image a bit to make the logo stand out more.

(please note that the coffee mug is not final. I'm just tossing around a few ideas for that.)

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

dsch
Regularly Helpful

Denmark
906 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  13:03:29  Show Profile  Visit dsch's Homepage  Send dsch an AOL message  Send dsch an ICQ Message  Send dsch a Yahoo! Message
Oo, great idea Michael!

={ Dan Schultzer }=
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  13:05:05  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
Here's the other one in the template:

I don't hate it, but it might not have the right "feel" for the cafe. I'm going for a lighter, "airier" feel this time around.

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

darren
A Regular

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  13:29:29  Show Profile
I like the new header idea. I'm sure you will get lots of great stuff from the artist here.
Go to Top of Page

teepoj
A Regular

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  14:27:36  Show Profile  Send teepoj an AOL message
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=14828

'Ere we go. Worth a try, I guess.

Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  14:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
I would work on that one, teepoj. Seems strange to waste the meatiest part of the canvas on empty sky. Some of the cars could be smaller, less out-of-focus.

I'm not picking favourites yet, I just wanted to show Thorbjørn what his images would look like in the template. There's at least 2 weeks before the new site design is ready =)

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

teepoj
A Regular

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  14:43:24  Show Profile  Send teepoj an AOL message
Thanks for the advise. I was wondering myself. . . .
I actually just cropped up an image I already had :)
Be back in a few!

Go to Top of Page

mickey
A Regular

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  14:52:25  Show Profile
OK, I'll bite 8-)

Great concept, Michael, I can't wait to see it implemented here.

Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
Wow, great image, Mike. You might want to grab one of the templates here and set it to overlay in photoshop to bump things about. The right hand whale is going to break up your name a bit, and the left hand dolphin falls into the "cafe" text a little funny.

Sharp image, though. I always liked that one =)

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

teepoj
A Regular

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:09:15  Show Profile  Send teepoj an AOL message
Oooh, pretty. :)
Mine's currently rerendering.
I do like that pic, though.
Great water effects, IMO

Go to Top of Page

Milkman
Infrequent Poster

18 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:27:43  Show Profile
How about this? <tongue planted firmly in cheek>

Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:34:02  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
I dunno. Could you give it some fur and make it a little more "evil"?

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

teepoj
A Regular

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:50:27  Show Profile  Send teepoj an AOL message
What happened to the "Lighter, 'Airier' feel" boss man? ;)

Go to Top of Page

mickey
A Regular

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:53:08  Show Profile
Above image should work better. (Reload page if it doesn't look any different)
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by teepoj

What happened to the "Lighter, 'Airier' feel" boss man? ;)

Heh. You mean my "evil" comment? That face is from a mailing list a few of us are on. We all took a shot at modeling Thomas the Train Engine, then horribly disfiguring him. You really had to be there to get it =)

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

TylerG
Inquisitive

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:58:29  Show Profile  Visit TylerG's Homepage  Send TylerG an AOL message
this sounds pretty fun!! now i will have something to do!!!

i have a star!!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000