making a DNA double helix
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jorgesanchez
Inquisitive

Colombia
54 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  15:57:16  Show Profile  Visit jorgesanchez's Homepage  Click to see jorgesanchez's MSN Messenger address  Send jorgesanchez a Yahoo! Message
Does anybody know of a tutorial or the number in order to make an accurate dna double helix?

thanks

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  16:12:46  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
I'll leave the accuracy part to you but here is how you can get a spiraling curve to start your helix. Lathe a 2D Circle on the Z grid. Give it 10 revolutions or so and an equal amount of vertical displacement. Export the spiral to the Amapi format then Import that as a Skin object. Unskin it completely. You'll end up with several spiral paths. Delete all but one of the outermost paths and you'll have a helix. Select that path and click the Center button then Rotate it 180 degrees with the Option key pressed. This will give you a duplicate copy 180 degrees offset for the other half of your double-helix. Now you can Path Extrude something along the paths to start your DNA molecule.

Brian Lawson
Strata technical support
Go to Top of Page

JeffrySG
Regularly Helpful

USA
543 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  17:00:33  Show Profile  Visit JeffrySG's Homepage
Here's an example of how I put one together with just two lathe objects and a bunch of cylinders between them. The setting for the lathe are on the jpg. I used a rounded rectangle to lathe but you could use any shape... After the lathe obj was made I made a copy and rotated it 180 deg. to make the other side.

http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=17939

good luck....

--Jeff

Edited by - JeffrySG on 03/12/2005 22:51:05
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  17:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
That works too and it's easier than my method.

Brian Lawson
Strata technical support
Go to Top of Page

jorgesanchez
Inquisitive

Colombia
54 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  16:55:49  Show Profile  Visit jorgesanchez's Homepage  Click to see jorgesanchez's MSN Messenger address  Send jorgesanchez a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, I'll try them, expect results
Go to Top of Page

jorgesanchez
Inquisitive

Colombia
54 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  17:04:48  Show Profile  Visit jorgesanchez's Homepage  Click to see jorgesanchez's MSN Messenger address  Send jorgesanchez a Yahoo! Message
I have some trouble. How can I make that the lathe leaves a space in the middle and doesn't rotate at the object axis

Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  17:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Go into Reshape Mode. You'll see an outline of the shape you've lathed and its path. Grab the path in the center of the shape outline and you can move it in and out go control the center of the lathing.

Brian Lawson
Strata technical support
Go to Top of Page

Johnd123
Regularly Helpful

USA
535 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  18:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Johnd123's Homepage
John Hunter Barrie made an excellent visual tutorial on spirals:
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=17798
Go to Top of Page

jorgesanchez
Inquisitive

Colombia
54 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  20:49:22  Show Profile  Visit jorgesanchez's Homepage  Click to see jorgesanchez's MSN Messenger address  Send jorgesanchez a Yahoo! Message
Ok, thanks for the info on moving the point. I did not know that.

Anyway I tried a different method and here is the result. circle changed the cp replicate it and the skin it.

So what do you guys think?

http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?imageID=17974
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  21:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Nicely done.

Brian Lawson
Strata technical support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000