How to create a CRT/monitor shape?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

netdzynr
Infrequent Poster

8 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  00:10:27  Show Profile  Visit netdzynr's Homepage
I'm considering getting back into Strata after being away for several years, and was wondering if anyone has (or could point me to) a tutorial on creating a CRT/screen shape (the tube found in an old television, that's rounded across the surface as well on all sides). I've tried to subdivide a flattened rounded cube, but I can't pull out the center in such a way that it blends nicely to the edges. The podcast thumbnails on Strata's site are a perfect example of the shape I need to create:
http://strata.com/images/podcast_08.jpg
http://strata.com/images/podcast_07.jpg
The podcasts are informative but don't explain to create the initial shape!
I'm sure this is simple but so are my skills. Thanks for any suggestions and apologies if this is the wrong place to post such a question.
- Scott

netdzynr
Infrequent Poster

8 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  13:21:49  Show Profile  Visit netdzynr's Homepage
So, 30+ views and no recommendations? Am I in the wrong forum to ask this kind of question? Should I investigate some other 3D tool?
Thanks.
- Scott
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  13:35:05  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
You're in the right place but apparently no one knows of any tutorials to direct you to. Perhaps Chris will chime in and tell us how he created the base mesh he started the tutorial from.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  15:47:00  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage
Scott, maybe this will get you started. Instead of using a rounded cube, use a regular cube for your base shape. Convert it to polygon mesh.

Ring select in each direction, and connect each set of rings, to give you the second step below. (There are other ways to do this first step, but the idea is that each set of edges is divided one time.)

When you apply subdivision, you will have the base shape you show in Chris's images.

Now what you need to do is select the back faces, do a region inset, and then a move normal to pull them upward a bit. follow that with another extrude. From there, it's a matter of shaping to get what you need.

Hope you can follow that. Here's an image. Left to right, you see

cube Primitive, Cube converted to polygon mesh and divided along each ring selection, and that divided cube with subdivision applied

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 09/11/2008 15:58:15
Go to Top of Page

netdzynr
Infrequent Poster

8 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  16:49:00  Show Profile  Visit netdzynr's Homepage
Thanks for the replies folks.
I'm new to the subdivision concept in modeling (I'm more of a 2D artist by trade), but I will try to give Jean's suggestions a try.
Regards,
- Scott
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  13:16:00  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message
web.mac.com/mrchristophersea/movies/movie-screen.html

I recorded a quick moving showing how to go about doing this. It builds on what Jean showed.
Go to Top of Page

netdzynr
Infrequent Poster

8 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  13:28:21  Show Profile  Visit netdzynr's Homepage
Well, if a picture is worth 1,000 words, your response is War & Peace. You have a good half dozen concepts in there I would never think to use. Thank you so much - I have a means to get going now.
Regards,
- Scott
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  16:15:36  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message
This is why I've recorded all the material in the new Art & Science, because it's a lot easier to watch and learn than to try and read a tutorial and learn.
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
750 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  17:48:11  Show Profile
Always like your tutorials Chris!! I can really see how Strata's modeler could be advanced with just a few more tools. For example when you were using the lattice tool if one had the ability to select two vertices and scale from center out the verts would be moved in a mirror fashion and be equal distance apart all at once. Or for that matter if the modeler incorporated symmetry. The nice thing about Strata somewhat looking and acting like Adobe products (Illustrator) would be if we had all the tool type functionality that AI has with vectors. Maybe in the next version!!

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  18:33:18  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message
The beta testers have requested many new and interesting tools, including the symmetry for lattice one you mentioned.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000