On learning the basics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

campbellarts
Infrequent Poster

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  13:35:22  Show Profile  Visit campbellarts's Homepage  Click to see campbellarts's MSN Messenger address
I am working on beginning tutorials. I am fascinated with the subdivision surface process. Iím following along with on old tutorial from may 8, I think 2007. They are creating this little blue character. It goes from a very squarish shape to a quite smooth oval just by clicking on the subdivide icon. When I try this with a cube, I can only manage to just smooth the corners no matter how far up I move the complexity slider. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Jean

Jean Campbell
-----------------
Art Director
Kitchen Sink Creative Group

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  15:00:21  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage
Hi Jean, my name is Jean.

I think you must be using a bezier cube conversion between the cube primitive and the cube polygon mesh... at least that's my best guess.

Do this: Create a cube using the cube primitive. Convert to polygon mesh. Do not convert to bezier
surface first. view the scene in hiddenline our wireframe view to confirm there are no divisions in the face of the cube. Now apply subdivision.

Just to see the comparison, try the same exercise, but convert to bezier mesh from primitive, then convert to polygon mesh. view in hiddenline, see all the extra polygons within the cube faces? apply subdivision, and compare the result.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

campbellarts
Infrequent Poster

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  16:21:23  Show Profile  Visit campbellarts's Homepage  Click to see campbellarts's MSN Messenger address
Thanks, Jean! That was it. I appreciate the help. Sometimes a little something like that will totally get you hung up and unable to progress!

Jean

Jean Campbell
-----------------
Art Director
Kitchen Sink Creative Group
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
A Fountain of Information

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  16:22:16  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message
"I am fascinated with the subdivision surface process."

There's good reason to be. It's a very interesting and highly useful technology. In fact it's so useful and productive that Pixar uses it widely in their movies. If you've seen Wall-E, you've seen subdivision surfaces. The EVE character is a Sub-D object as an example. In fact Pixar employs Ed Catmull who co-developed the subdivision routine (called Catmull-Clark) that most applications (including Strata) use for the subdivision process.

My new Art & Science II covers it extensively.

Edited by - MrChristopher on 09/19/2008 16:24:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000