New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ErickSmith
A Regular

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  16:15:13  Show Profile  Visit ErickSmith's Homepage
I've been importing models from Solidworks like crazy lately and it's working marvelously. However, the engineers like to make every piece a separate color so their easily identified. This is havoc to me. I try to replace all the parts' textures at once, but the color from solidworks still shows up on renders.

Is there a way to collectively remove all the textures of a complete model. (Around 1500 textures per model)

MacPro
2 x 2.66Ghz Intel Xeon
4GGB 667MHz DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
2 x 23" Dell LCD Monitors

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  16:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Unfortunately there is not, they can only be removed one at a time. What format are you using to import your models? If the textures have jpeg image maps you can remove them from the folder with the model file then Strata will ask upon Import for you to find them. At that point you can tell it to Skip All and none of them will be brought in.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

ErickSmith
A Regular

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  17:05:17  Show Profile  Visit ErickSmith's Homepage
I'm importing them as a VRML2 (VRML97).
It imports the model as individual parts with their own texture.
It's the only format I can get Solidworks to Save or Export too that works well with strata.

MacPro
2 x 2.66Ghz Intel Xeon
4GGB 667MHz DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  17:10:00  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Our VRML exporter writes a jpeg to go along with the geometry, does SolidWorks not do that? As far as I know the VRML format does not hold image data, just a description of where to find it and which mesh to apply it to like the .mtl file that goes with an OBJ.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  17:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Can you not strip the textures in SolidWorks before exporting?

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

ErickSmith
A Regular

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  17:21:21  Show Profile  Visit ErickSmith's Homepage
I either can't or haven't found out how yet. I've been using SW for a few weeks now trying to find out how to. I'm on their forums looking for help as well..

I'll keep trying..
Thanks for the ideas Brian,

Erick

MacPro
2 x 2.66Ghz Intel Xeon
4GGB 667MHz DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  21:42:23  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage
Erick, this might be worth trying. It works for smaller models but for a model with 1500 materials.. whoa.

Anyway, for a smaller model, you can make one white material, call it blanket, and put it on top of all meshes. Set all meshes to auto smooth off.

Export as OBJ (don't make any groups or shapes, just export again.)

Import the OBJ. now all objects should be assigned this one material. You shouldn't have any other materials at import, only this one.

Unfortunately, there will probably be a limit on how many meshes you can export successfully at one time.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 09/25/2008 21:46:03
Go to Top of Page

ErickSmith
A Regular

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  12:13:32  Show Profile  Visit ErickSmith's Homepage
Yeah, when I try exporting, it just closes the export window and does nothing...hehe.

I just imported from Sw again, and this time when I use a blanket texture in Strata, the colors aren't coming though when I render. Which is nice. I just messed around with the image quality settings in SW. I have no clue why it's working fine now. :)

Thanks again for the help as always guys.

Erick

MacPro
2 x 2.66Ghz Intel Xeon
4GGB 667MHz DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  12:39:09  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage
an underlying color normally would not come through. I'm not sure why you had that issue to begin with. typically, you would only see that if the overlying material has some elements disabled (eye turned off), or the overlying material is a specific type that does not support the aspect of the underlying material that is showing through. For instance, a solid color overly will allow all aspects of an underlying material except color and opacity, because those aspects are absent in a solid color material.

Jean
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000