Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

speters
Infrequent Poster

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  05:52:28  Show Profile  Visit speters's Homepage
I am using PS CS3 Extended and strata 3d in. I am new to strata and I think that I have a pretty simple question. I have a photo of a bottle that has a label on it, but the client want's me to change the logo. I was given the illustrator art for the label and I was wondering if there is a simple way of adding that logo to the bottle using strata 3d in? I a quick google and could not find what I am looking for and I am under a tight deadline, I need to have this done my around 2 tomorrow, and I actually have 3 different bottles and labels. I can add all of the highlights and shadows in PS so I just need to know how to create a model of the shape of the bottle in the photo graph and then just rap the new label around the model and render out just the label. So can you give me any help?

Thanks,
Steve

Ken Bringhurst
A Regular

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  00:02:57  Show Profile  Visit Ken Bringhurst's Homepage
Do you know how to create the 3D model? That part is very simple. Just follow the example of the can model demo video. You can see that at 3DLayer.com - http://www.3dlayer.com/tutorials/design_model/

Once you have the model you can make as many copies of it as you like and put a different label on each one. Now make the label:

Make sure the bottle model is _not_ selected. Click the "New" button in the texture tab of the Resource palette to make the label. Type the name "Label" in the top Name field. Put your label artwork in the Diffuse Color channel (click the channel icon and paste the art in). Put a fully white (just white pixels) version of the label in the Stencil channel (think of this as a Mask channel). Move the Gloss slider to the right about half way. Don't touch the Clear slider! We're leaving this opaque. Click OK.

Now in the Resource palette you should see one texture (Label). Now make another new texture. Click on the New button. Name this texture "Glass". Drag the Gloss slider all the way to the right. Drag the Opaque slider about 90% of the way to the right. Click the Color box to set the color of the glass for the bottle. Down in the Environment channel choose Hawaiian Garden from the pop-up menu. Click OK.

Now you have two textures. Drag the one named Glass from the palette to the bottle. This will be your foundation texture. Next drag the Label texture onto the bottle. Now you need to set your mapping for the label. Go to the Object Properties palette and click on the Texture & FX tab. Select the top texture in the list (Label). Make sure the mapping style is set to Cylindrical 1 (red cylinder with a 1 next to it). Next set the Tile pop-up to None (bottom icon in pop-up list.)Now we'll use the Position mode. The Position button can be found in the bottom Extra Settings section.

Click on the Position button. You'll notice that the Tool palette changes to tools useful for texture position. You can see the red outline of the mapping cylinder. Use the Texture Scale tool to make the Label cylinder the correct hight. To do this drag the special texture manipulation handles. Don't confuse the normal tools in the top section of the palette with these special texturing tools. Next use the Texture Move tool to place the Label at the right position. You may need to change the view mode to Wireframe. Use the pop-up menu at the top of the view you're working in. This will let you see the texture manipulation handles inside the object.

You should be able to do test renderings with the Rendering tool to make sure you're getting what you want. When you're done you can do a final quality rendering and send it as a layered Photoshop file to Ps for further editing. To change the label to other brands or products just open the texture named Label and paste in the new artwork. This will update the bottle to the new product. Just do new renderings of these new versions.

A little experimentation will allow you to get what you want. Remember you can rotate the bottle and/or the view to get just what you want. You can also add a table-top reflection, a true shadow and more to add to your illustration or animation. You can even add true refraction effects with a bit more work.

I hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

speters
Infrequent Poster

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  16:12:41  Show Profile  Visit speters's Homepage
Thank you so much, I am going to give it a try.
Steve
Go to Top of Page

speters
Infrequent Poster

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  02:41:21  Show Profile  Visit speters's Homepage
So I have a label that was created in Illustrator and I pasted into PS and scaled it to the size of the old label, well I at least made it the same height. The label I was given actually would rap all the way around the bottle, but I thought it would be easier to just delete what would be seen on the back. I then cropped in on the label and saved that label as a psd. I went into Strata created the model with no problem. Then followed your instructions for creating the textures then I dragged them onto my object. Now I am having several problems. As soon as I drag the label texture on the bottle the label becomes semitransparent and it has been scaled up to fit the whole bottle. I was hoping that since I already had the label at the correct size in PS that I would be able to apply it at 100%. Can this be done? After about an hour I finally got it pretty close, but I can see that the original label does not have nearly as much arc in it as this label. I have just been working in the front and side views, so I have not set up a camera and I am wondering if maybe that is what I would need to do in order to get the new label to match up better with the old? The last thing is, I am assuming that when I render this I should be able to render just the label or at least the label with a mask?
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  10:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Send me a copy of your model and I'll take a look at it Steve. Send it to support at strata dot com along with the URL to this topic please.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000