New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dids
Inquisitive

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  09:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know whether you can adjust the density and the blurryness of shadows?
Ive tried making adjustments in the render window/shadows bin box but typing 1.0% in the "Shadow on surface opacity threshold" box renders the same as typing 99.0%. Its only when I type in 100.0% that the shadow dissapears altogether.

Surely, if 100.0% is no shadow at all then 1.0% should be a 99% shadow?

Ideally I would like a 30% shadow, the default 50% is too dark. Can anybody help?

[b]Image Insert:[/b][br][br][size=1] 35.37 KB[/size=1]

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:03:20  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These are not where you want to be adjusting density. Those thresholds have to do with how much effort the rendering engine puts into making the shadows accurate. I am not sure about the Softness, but I am guessing it is a similar issue and you should bot be looking here to help with fall-off softness issues.

Probably posting a sample render showing your problem will help elicit a useful answer.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 02/04/2010 12:04:22
Go to Top of Page

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:16:07  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dids. I still owe you a video, and want you to know I haven't forgotten.

Shadows: the settings you are looking at do not apply to your question.

Cast volume shadows are for volumetric effects such as fog, mist, clouds, etc., not for regular geometry with regular textures.

The opacity threshold is to specify the point at which a shadow will not be rendered at all.

To create soft edged shadows, you must used either a spotlight or a point light, you cannot use a directional light (the quick easy lights you ad and manipulate from the Lights tab of the Environment palette.) The light must have a radius specified (which is the default.) You must not select the plain raytracing renderer, unless you want to make some specific adjustments to enable soft shadows. (The settings you show in the cast Surface Shadows above will enable soft shadows, so I don't suspect this is your problem.) (Additionally, lightdomes will cast broad soft shadows if you use full radiosity settings)

Try these things first, I'll address shadow density in a separate post.

Edited by - jpro on 02/04/2010 12:17:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000