Animating Camera
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Manoel Nguyen
Infrequent Poster

Netherlands
12 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  10:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Manoel Nguyen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,

I have a problem animating a camera around and through a building in Design 3D CX 6.2
Have done several animations in the past with Blitz, but can't make the camera's behaving properly in CX 6.2
Tracking Target are set to 'none'
I can move the camera & 'LookAt-point' around in the animation and turn the camera using the 'Yaw-button'
But when I check the animation-preview the camera does something completely different
This last time the camera remained stationary, but the view-cone is just changing: getting larger, turning and shrinking again, instead of moving through the building and back around it
What's going wrong???

Thanks, Mano

Image Insert:

16.11 KB

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  10:18:48  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
animated camera behavior is usually far more predictable if you put a small construction object into the scene, and target it in the camera properties. then you can animate it, or keep it stationary, to control your camera. cameras seem to track their targets much more reliably than they track the look-at point with no target.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 04/19/2011 10:25:42
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  12:08:09  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also make sure the positions stopwatch is active in the project window, or you have the preferences set to use the old style method of recording movement.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Manoel Nguyen
Infrequent Poster

Netherlands
12 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  05:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Manoel Nguyen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the input,

I had considered using a construction object to target, but that would be somewhat chaotic to set up when entering a building and looking around
moving around the building is less problematic with the building as target
I may have to make seperate takes for interior and exterior as a continuous animation-path could turn out difficult with changing settings in light etc.

by the way: I was hoping the aperture and/or shutter speed would help to adjust the lighting wen entering as it would with a real (video-) camera but no luck
an idea for improvement STRATA?
now I have to fiddle with the lightdome, extra lights, bounces etc.

Mano
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  13:15:26  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can actually animate something called the Camera aperture in the Project window. I don't know what will happen.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

jaseman
Infrequent Poster

48 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  15:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Manoel Nguyen

I had considered using a construction object to target, but that would be somewhat chaotic to set up when entering a building and looking around
moving around the building is less problematic with the building as target
I may have to make seperate takes for interior and exterior as a continuous animation-path could turn out difficult with changing settings in light etc.

I actually find it much more useful to set a construction object as my camera target for walkthroughs like this. It helps me guarantee the camera is always pointing just where I want it. Just keep the target static while the camera walks around the outside. Once you move inside, you can seemlesly inter the building, move around, then exit all in one render.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000