New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bailey1660
Infrequent Poster

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  11:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am trying to model the attached robot head. is there a straightforward way to create filleted objects like the mouth that conform to the curve of the spheroid?

james

Image Insert:

65.8 KB

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1451 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  13:28:36  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I assuming we are talking about polygon modeling here.

You need to model the base of all the protrusions into the basic head object, then you can copy the relevant polygons and create new objects extruding from those.

The only other thing I can suggest is to do Boolean operations on copies of the base head with the objects you want to keep separate.

It would be nice if we had a cutting tool that you could use like a cookie cutter to stamp polygon edges into the base head. But we don't have that yet.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 01/09/2014 13:30:18
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
A Fountain of Information

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  14:41:14  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Using a deformation lattice would be a good way to approach it. You would model your object, likely using polygon modeling with the end goal being a subdivision surface object, then bend and conform that to the shape of the head.
Go to Top of Page

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  15:13:32  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would model the base head as a polygon mesh object, with the intent to use subdivision surfaces on the base mesh.

I would adjust the topology of the base head so that the eyes, eye-band, mouth, etc. could be extruded directly from the base shape. They could eventually be split off the base shape, or could be left a part of the head and textured as submeshes, or as areas of a UV map.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
441 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  15:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"It would be nice if we had a cutting tool that you could use like a cookie cutter to stamp polygon edges into the base head. But we don't have that yet.
Britt"

THis is what I have wanted for years. I get fairly good results from Booleans. But a cutting tool that doesn't fail on complex geometry would really rock. I know there's a lot of complexity involved with this, but what an attractive feature!
Go to Top of Page

bailey1660
Infrequent Poster

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  11:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am very grateful for your responses. i now know there is no magic "project this one right onto that one" operation.

i have gone with the deformation approach, but warping the individual pieces rather than the whole thing. it seems to be getting me there gradually.

james

Image Insert:

99.89 KB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000