StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 How to import a AutoCAD dxf file into Starta?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dragos von z
Infrequent Poster

5 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  20:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear all,

I'm new to Strata and have done I few tutorials and I love it. Very easy to use but I run into a problem. When I import a dxf file from autocad I can not see it. I can zoom out all the way and still not be able to see it. In autocad I can save a file as dxf under different versions to be able to import in other programs and I tried all.
What am I doing wrong? can some one help me. I have a few projects that I would like to render?

MrChristopher
A Fountain of Information

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  20:46:08  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Do you see an entry in the Project Window for these items?

When you open the files, select Command+=(equal/plus sign). This will zoom the scene to the extend of your objects which should help you to see what's there.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  20:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You need to be sure your DXF is saved in version 12 or earlier.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

dragos von z
Infrequent Poster

5 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  21:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To begin with, I just converted my file to a 3ds file which I have not tried yet to import and second I'm a PC user so what is the replacement to command (-+). Is it CTRL?
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  21:08:02  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Command key on the Mac is the same as the Control key on a Windows system.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

dragos von z
Infrequent Poster

5 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  21:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did save it as dxf release 12 and it worked but it transformed my 3d solid shape in something else. What's going on?
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  21:19:01  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Impossible to say without seeing the file.

The forums are going to be taken offline in a little while. You should contact me directly at support (at) strata (dot) com.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

dragos von z
Infrequent Poster

5 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  21:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian,
I work with 3d solids in autocad 2007. There is anything else that i have to do wiht the solids before i save the file as RTL12? Should I explode them to turned them into regions? Or explode one more time to turn them into polylines?
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  21:32:37  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Strata cannot import 3d solids.

Can you convert them to polygon meshes?

Jean
Go to Top of Page

dragos von z
Infrequent Poster

5 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  23:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jean, Brian and Chris,

Finally, I did it. I downloaded a trial version for a convertor from solid to polymesh. I converted the solid to polymesh then saved the file as RT12 dxf, imported the file to strata and it works. I just have to disolve a lot of meshes to apply some texture.
Does any one know about a free convertor solid to mesh?

I really appreciate your very quick response and support,

Cheers

Dragos
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  23:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I use FBX Converter for this kind of thing a lot. There are other inexpensive CAD programs such as ViaCAD which also do a good job.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  23:36:12  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, ViaCAD would fit very nicely into your workflow if the ~100 dollars is in your budget.

ViaCAD is built on the same ACIS engine that AutoCAD is built on, so it should import you models well. It will also tesselate your solids to a nicer format than DXF: like VRML2 or OBJ.

try before you buy, and see if it does what you need. The have a nice trial period.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Tom Macie
A Regular

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  10:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Tom Macie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dragos von z

You can send me your file and I'll take a look at it. I do this every day, but use Vectorworks to organize the file then export as Simple Vectorscript. This will retain any layer information and import as named shapes. It will retain scaling information.

This can be problematic, depending on how they set-up the file.

-Tom

tom(dot)macie(at)preVisioncompany(dot)com
Go to Top of Page

dragos von z
Infrequent Poster

5 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  21:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Thank you all for your quick and wonderful reponses.
Dragos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000