Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

MrChristopher
A Fountain of Information

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  01:19:28  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Start checking the gallery for images from the new 6.0.

Edited by - MrChristopher on 05/22/2009 02:38:32

mwick
Regularly Helpful

Germany
847 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  02:18:40  Show Profile  Visit mwick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im checking, but nothing to see :-) ???

Markus
----------------------
Strata 3D CX 5.5 Mac and Windows, RenderPro 5.5 Mac and Win
4 Machines with Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz, 6 GB, GeForce 7600GS
Windows XP and OSX 10.5.6
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  02:38:51  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I meant to say GALLERY.
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
750 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  08:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are tons there now! Pretty cool Chris! When will you be able to start reveal features?

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

mwick
Regularly Helpful

Germany
847 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  09:11:23  Show Profile  Visit mwick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Chris, the problem is: Your renderings are ALWAYS cool and way above the things I do. So theay are as good as I expect them fro you. What does 6.0 do that those pics are like they are? Maybe theres a "Render like Chris"-Mode in the rendering settings...? :-)

Markus
----------------------
Strata 3D CX 5.5 Mac and Windows, RenderPro 5.5 Mac and Win
4 Machines with Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz, 6 GB, GeForce 7600GS
Windows XP and OSX 10.5.6
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  09:30:56  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
okay, we can't all render like Chris. but this is a wonderful new version for the rest of us, too.

First of all, I render like Jean in 5.x, and I still do in 6 ... but with 6 my renders are finished in 1/4 to 1/5 the time that they run in 5.6. (This is on an 8 core machine) and the image quality is at least as good, but usually better.

Besides that, we get a major upgrade of the material system, and some hot new features in the poly modeler.

as far as "render like Chris" mode is concerned, one of my favorite enhancements is the ability to save render settings to a text file for archiving or sharing. So if you are having trouble finding the right render settings, you can save them to a text file and post them here for others to load, adjust and send back.

I have been archiving render settings with my projects as I complete them since this feature has been introduced.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 05/22/2009 09:32:54
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  10:10:00  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Version 6 has a substantially updated rendering engine which is what I was hoping all the postings would show.

The new renderer has higher quality;
Is much faster;
has new material controls

For instance:

http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?galcat=0&imageID=27465
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?galcat=0&imageID=27476

Both of these images wouldn't have been possible in 5.6. One took 8 minutes the other 12 to render. Both heavily use blurry reflections along with multibounce raydiosity AND more physically accurate reflections.

So look at all the images I was allowed to post with these things in mind.

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by mwick

Yeah, Chris, the problem is: Your renderings are ALWAYS cool and way above the things I do. So theay are as good as I expect them fro you. What does 6.0 do that those pics are like they are? Maybe theres a "Render like Chris"-Mode in the rendering settings...? :-)

Go to Top of Page

eg
A Regular

132 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  10:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow those renders look hot!

so so glad to hear there are render time improvements

looks like allot of work was done on materials

was wondering what features are improved, and what features are new in 6.0

has bones been worked on

have anyone run the benchmark render with 6.0

happily looking forward
eg

Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  10:30:54  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This release doesn't focus on animation. The focus was on updating the renderer and improving/extending the material system (oh, and the modeling tools are more powerful).

The new renderer is quite a bit faster than 5.6. And it's higher quality given the same parameters you would set in 5.6.

The renderer no longer has an Octree value you need to tweak to get maximum speed. It's been replaced by a more modern (and fast) mechanism that always optimizes the scene for the fastest rendering without any user interaction.

The raydiosity sampling system is improved which means higher quality. There is no distinction now between 'randomized' and non-randomized sampling. It's all handled 'under the hood' and produces better quality than 5.6.

The material system can do blurry reflections and transparency dramatically faster than 5.6 making possible many of the renderings I've posted.

The material system has new controls for determining how light reflects. The new Fresnel system produces much better materials like glass.

The modeling tools have been updated and revamped also.
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  11:45:25  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... nice info so far. Any ideas when they are going to release detailed information on the upgrade? New/updated features and what not? Maybe a release date?
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  11:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. Can't wait to try it out.

Dasch

Go to Top of Page

J.I.Kim
A Regular

Korea
139 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  12:16:19  Show Profile  Visit J.I.Kim's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am very glad to see Chris Tyler's post. no headache for octree setting any more is very good progressing. and 1/4 reducing render time is awesome. also this will be good for my current projects.

if ok, could i get some sneak preview for new material system? i wonder, will 6.0 support mixing textures well as multiply,overlay mode with bump and image mapping?

thanks for sharing this news and keep going...

J.I.Kim
=======================
Albatross Design
www.illustbox.com
webmaster@illustbox.com
=======================

Edited by - J.I.Kim on 05/22/2009 12:25:36
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  13:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message  Reply with Quote
New Texture Dialog in Strata Design 3D CX 6.

Image Insert:

69.96 KB

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Admin

Canada
2688 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  13:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Michael's Homepage  Send Michael an AOL message  Reply with Quote
New Render Dialog in Strata Design CX 6.

Image Insert:

55.51 KB

Michael Luscombe
Go to Top of Page

Dasch
Regularly Educational

Canada
1164 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  13:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Dasch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat new dialog windows!
Will 6.0 have UV-mapping?

Dasch

Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  14:37:13  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is one of the many nice things about the new renderer. The octree is gone. The new system is often twice as fast as the fastest octree setting you could find. It's a system called BVH (Bounding Volume Hierarchy). But you don't need to know that because it's handled automatically and each scene is optimized for fastest speed with it.

The material system uses the combine, multiply, etc. modes from 5.6, but there have been some refinements in the way the material dialog boxes work to make it easier to use them.

You can also design your own preview file for the material preview if you want. The product will come with 3 I have set up along with the default one.

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by J.I.Kim

I am very glad to see Chris Tyler's post. no headache for octree setting any more is very good progressing. and 1/4 reducing render time is awesome. also this will be good for my current projects.

if ok, could i get some sneak preview for new material system? i wonder, will 6.0 support mixing textures well as multiply,overlay mode with bump and image mapping?

thanks for sharing this news and keep going...

J.I.Kim
=======================
Albatross Design
www.illustbox.com
webmaster@illustbox.com
=======================

Image Insert:

75.03 KB

Edited by - MrChristopher on 05/22/2009 14:42:38
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1454 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  16:33:29  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are still many areas of the program that need extending and improving. This new release is a major overhaul of the rendering and texturing for the program. My understanding is that it sets the ground work for new imaging features in the future. Think of this as a Speed and Realism upgrade!

There is a new expanded use for Grids and Guides as tools for controlling the movement and placement of objects and in Poly modeling. New/easier to use Poly edit tools. A Very good improvement to the modeling experience.

More UV manipulation inside the program is not in this upgrade.

However, there is an interesting new program they are working on that is designed to take flat illustrator art for package design and allow you to fold it up in an illustrator plug-in and then export it in a 3D format that Strata can import. It is called Strata Enfold 3D. Is to be released some time after the 6.0 Strata is out the door.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

eg
A Regular

132 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  17:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking solid
I like the expander tabs on each setting , is this where the Micro-polish moved to?
(always had a hard time adjusting the Micro-polish for texture Mix)

what does the Shadow Cast Map do?

eg

Edited by - eg on 05/22/2009 17:05:17
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  17:20:51  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The cast shadow map is what was formerly called the caustics map. It does the exact same thing, but this new name is more apt.

Micropolish settings are now accomplished with Smoothness settings. Inside the smoothness drawer are spots for a secondary smoothness, and for a mix ratio of the two smoothness settings.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 05/22/2009 17:48:24
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  20:48:50  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?galcat=0&imageID=27493

Here's a simple and common example of the speed differences between 5.6 and 6.0.

Not an interesting rendering but something I just threw together.

Note that 6.0 rendered this scene 4.4x faster than 5.5. And the nice thing is you don't have to fiddle with the octree variable to try and get the best times, the new BVH system handles this automatically and without you having to adjust anything.

So 6.0 is a big time productivity enhancer.
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  21:19:30  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?galcat=0&imageID=27494

Here's another simple example. 6.0 rendered this simple scene about 10x faster than 5.5.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000