Strata Design 3D CX
 Help for a Newbie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

resound
Infrequent Poster

9 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  14:55:32  Show Profile  Visit resound's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am using the tryout and playing around with a simple apple design. I'd like to add a leaf that I've designed in Illustrator to the 3D design and have it curve around the face of the apple. My problem is that I have converted the shape in AI to just the outline and both imported and opened the .AI in Strata but have absolutely no clue how to curve the shape around the apple. I've watched hours of the tutorials available so far, but still have no idea how I am supposed to take the leaf shape and apply both the curve and a little dimension to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Ryan

Ryan Nicoletto

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  15:53:20  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any filled or closed shapes you will create in Illustrator will not be the correct kind of geometry to curve into the third dimension in Strata. Filled or closed Illustrator paths are the same thing as a 2D Bezier region in Strata, which is by definition 2D, not 3D.

So, you will want to model the leaf in Strata. A Bezier surface is capable of being wrapped, or you could model a skin or hull surface directly in a curved configuration. A properly constructed polygon mesh or subdivision surface can be deformed to curve as well.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 01/24/2010 15:54:13
Go to Top of Page

resound
Infrequent Poster

9 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  16:22:54  Show Profile  Visit resound's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jean,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try creating the bezier surface first. After I get the initial outline what tools would you suggest in terms of curving and shaping the bezier surface? I am assuming that I would keep the object as a bezier surface versus converting it to a mesh. Thanks for your help!

Ryan

Ryan Nicoletto
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  16:40:19  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can keep it as a bezier surface, or convert to a mesh: either will work.

Bezier surfaces have direct editing tools. Take the bezier surface into edit mode and manipulate it with bezier editing tools. Or convert to polygon mesh and edit with polygon editing tools.

Either of these object types can be deformed with a deformation lattice, but sometimes bezier surfaces do not deform perfectly.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  16:56:59  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Can you post what your leaf looks like?

Chris
Go to Top of Page

resound
Infrequent Poster

9 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  10:15:34  Show Profile  Visit resound's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris,

Here's what the leaf looks like 2D. I am trying to just give it a little depth and curve it around the apple as it is attached to the stem.

Thanks!

Ryan

Image Insert:

5.58 KB

Ryan Nicoletto
Go to Top of Page

resound
Infrequent Poster

9 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  12:49:13  Show Profile  Visit resound's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, I have the bezier object drawn, looks exactly like the top image here. It's still a bezier object, I haven't converted it to anything and I've saved it as a shape just in case I need to go back to the original drawing. From here I want to add a little depth to it, and then have it curve around the apple face. I have been messing with the tools and still haven't come up with a good way about wrapping the top of the leaf around the apple's side.

Thanks for your patience, and 123 type of answers would greatly help!

Thanks!

Ryan Nicoletto
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  13:00:38  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"bezier object" could be either a bezier 2D region or a bezier surface(or a bezier curve, for that matter).

How did you create the object? What object type does the project window or status bar tell you it is?

Jean
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  13:14:41  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, here's what you do. You create a plane of regularly spaced polygons. Create a 2D rectangle primitive then, covert it a polygon mesh. use the Smooth Mesh function and divide it into something like 5 divisions.

You then take the leaf, create what is a stencil/alpha mask of the shape. You place this in the stencil channel of a material placed onto the object.

When you place the material on the object, set it to Planar mode (it should snap it to the size of the object). Then use the BurnUV function to convert it to UV coordinates.

You can then use a deformation lattice to deform the object into the shape you want.

Chris

Image Insert:

39.9 KB
Go to Top of Page

resound
Infrequent Poster

9 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  13:52:18  Show Profile  Visit resound's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris, Thanks for your time on this. I'll try what you have said and post how it all turns out. Thanks! Thanks to Jean as well!

Ryan Nicoletto
Go to Top of Page

resound
Infrequent Poster

9 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  15:01:50  Show Profile  Visit resound's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris, thanks for your patience. I've created the mesh as directed. I've also created a texture and added a .tif of the leaf to the stencil setting. Here's where I am getting caught up: Do I apply the texture to the mesh? I have tried and I get a red X through the bounding box of the mesh. Also, where do I switch to "planar" mode? I know how to use the deformation lattice, so that should be a pretty easy. Thanks for bearing with me!

Ryan Nicoletto
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  15:30:29  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Switch projections in the Object Properties palette / Textures & FX tab, once the texture is applied.

Apply a texture as you were. When you see the red X let go and the texture is applied.
Go to Top of Page

resound
Infrequent Poster

9 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  16:09:39  Show Profile  Visit resound's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, I've been able to create the mesh, apply the texture and I have the leaf image on the mesh via the stencil. I am having a heck of a time curving the leaf, can't figure it out. Any suggestions? I have been using the deformation lattice tool, but can not get it to wrap or bend at all. Thank!

Ryan Nicoletto
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  16:29:25  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
again, I don't think we are sure you are creating the correct object type. Look in the project window and see what the program is calling your object. Let us know what word or words it uses.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

resound
Infrequent Poster

9 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  19:36:01  Show Profile  Visit resound's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jean,

Ok, I got Chris's way to work, but I am not happy with the results (no offense chris). Here's what I am doing, maybe you can help.

First, I am opening the new project. I am then importing the AI file to use as a guide while I trace it with the pen curve tool, not the 2D Pen Region Tool. From here, I have no clue...I am completely lost.

Ryan Nicoletto
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  20:06:37  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I think maybe you need to do a few modeling exercises to learn some modeling techniques. People like Chris or I know 10 different ways to do everything, because we tried 'em all, usually with no coaching or instruction or hints, either, but Chris and I are funny that way...

One way to do this is to forget about the breaks in the leaf at first, and just make a plain, clean leaf.

There are 2 easy ways I can think of. Draw one side of the leaf with one curve. Stop. Draw the other side with a second curve. Stop. Skin these 2 curves together. How does that look? It is probably flat. However, you should be able to apply a deformation lattice to it to make it curve. Or you can convert it to a bezier surface, and edit the bezier surface to make that curve. That's one.

Another say is to make a disc, and convert it to a bezier surface. Now, edit this disk until it looks like a leaf. Ha-ha. But it works rather well.

We haven't seen what you got with Chris's technique, now herd what you didn't like about it. Ultimately, I would very likely use a mixture of his technique and the simple ones I outline.

I wish I had the perfect tutorial to point you to, but I do not. You might look at the models in the resources section here, and see if you like any of the leaves there (try the Plants category)

Jean
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  21:41:58  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It can be done. I use mad half a leaf using 2 bezier lines, converted to polygons and modeled it (I realize that covers a lot), applied thickness, modeled some more, rotated it, and the mirrored it. The used a deformation mesh to bend it into a curve. Grouped it and converted to polymesh again.Then you can apply Subdivision to make it nice and smooth.

Image Insert:

11.53 KB

Image Insert:

20.5 KB

Image Insert:

10.57 KB

Edited by - tbgriswold on 01/25/2010 21:44:30
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  04:32:05  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've gone ahead and recorded a tutorial showing one possible way to create a deformable leaf type of object based on the original reference image.

http://wp.me/pHXyk-sd
Go to Top of Page

resound
Infrequent Poster

9 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  19:49:10  Show Profile  Visit resound's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris,

Thanks for your help and the tutorial on this. With your help I've been able to create the leaf and finish my first attempt at 3D with strata. Here's a rought rendering just so you could see how you've helped.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Image Insert:

19.99 KB

Ryan Nicoletto
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000