Reflect Tool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NRDesigns
Inquisitive

Canada
76 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  12:34:02  Show Profile  Click to see NRDesigns's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm not sure what happened, but before when i used the reflect tool it would place the reflection based on what side i chose to reflect. now it offsets it to the side of the face i chose. can someone please explain how i can change this back?

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  12:41:03  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes you get your geometry into a situation where this happens.

Without seeing the file, I can't guess what has happened. Even with seeing it, I might not be able to, but it certainly might help.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

NRDesigns
Inquisitive

Canada
76 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  12:47:41  Show Profile  Click to see NRDesigns's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd like to attach a file with my next post but it's not allowing me to attach files with .s3d extension and for some reason i'm using invalid characters
Go to Top of Page

NRDesigns
Inquisitive

Canada
76 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  12:53:29  Show Profile  Click to see NRDesigns's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok so i renamed my .s3d file into a .txt file, so if you rename it back you should be able to open it.(i hope mac allows you to rename file extenstions)

please forgive my ugly and messy geometry

Download Attachment: reflectingproblems.txt
69.47 KB

Edited by - NRDesigns on 01/27/2010 13:00:22
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  13:16:17  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the future, it would be better to simply zip the S3D file rather than to get tricky with swapping extensions.

Your mesh has a nested node. I see that by looking at its object properties in the project window.

Nested nodes are acquired when you work on an object when it is part of a group or shape, then ungroup it. Transformations and texture applications that were applied to the group are retained in the nested node. Strata is usually pretty good at clearing transformation-only nested nodes, but a nested node has to be retained to retain the texture application, so you got one.

I was able to open the position and rotation listings in the project window, and enter zero in every slot, to zero-out the aspects of the nested node that were interfering with the mirror operation. then the mirror worked.

The other thing I could do is group the object to itself, and convert it to a polygon mesh. This will remove the texture application you now have, and remove all the nested nodes, getting you back to a clean, unencumbered mesh.

In the future, it would be better to be sure to not apply textures to shapes or groups and then ungroup them. Transformation nodes alone should clear okay when you ungroup, but texture applications will require the nested node.

I realize this may not all make sense... nested nodes are not an everyday concept. But it is a means of retaining attributes assigned to the group even after the group has been ungrouped. We learn to avoid this for the most part, but it still hits all of us from time to time.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 01/27/2010 13:17:42
Go to Top of Page

NRDesigns
Inquisitive

Canada
76 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  13:36:03  Show Profile  Click to see NRDesigns's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks a lot jean, since i do a lot of packaging design, i often create nested nodes when i have to go back and revise models(the more i learn), i'll try and be more mindful when doing so

thanks again jean

Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  14:22:49  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The other way you could have reflected this with no problems is to do it in the polygon modeler. Your mesh was set up well to do that, but I'm not sure what you have in mind.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 01/27/2010 14:35:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000