STRATA RENDERING
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clintoss
Infrequent Poster

43 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  20:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im trying to render a model for an instruction sheet.

I've been using the Flat Toon setting for rendering.

It's not what im looking for. Can someone please give me some direction.

Image Insert:

73.05 KB

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  20:54:21  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Clint,

Can I get a look at your Strata 6 file? If you don't want to post it for everyone, you can email me at jpro2 [at] swbell [dot] net

Jean
Go to Top of Page

clintoss
Infrequent Poster

43 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  21:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jean, yes sure no problem. Here is a link to download the file. Thanks

http://www.box.net/shared/static/s5eeoe642e.s3d
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  21:31:16  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clint, how large are you trying to render this image?

Jean
Go to Top of Page

clintoss
Infrequent Poster

43 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  21:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
80mm x 100mm is ok. I've got to make an instruction sheet of how to put this together. So ill slowly pull it apart and render for each step. Have you found a way to achieve a similar result to the C example or A?
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  21:46:40  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm still looking at it. There is one immediate step I can take to get it closer to C, but I am having some of the holes drop out, which is problematic. I'm going to play with it a bit further before I give you an answer.

Are the holes you used in a proper scale? The holds on C are larger, and farther apart, which is easier to work with.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 01/27/2010 21:47:25
Go to Top of Page

clintoss
Infrequent Poster

43 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  21:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes the file that i sent you is to scale. The example for C is what the client gave me as a look they want.
They are happy with A from previous proofs that i've sent them. Im not that happy with it, but I cant reproduce A as im using CX 6. Either A or C would be fine, but C would be better. Things do drop off for me then i had to draw the lines back in using illustrator. It's a funny one.

I hope that makes sence
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  22:29:51  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What does this do for you?

Image Insert:

86.28 KB

Jean
Go to Top of Page

clintoss
Infrequent Poster

43 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  22:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PERFECT! thats on the money. It's not 100% but it's much better than what i could achieve. I can fix the missing parts. Genius! What did you do?
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  22:49:47  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two important things: The black grid was dropping out because it was exactly coincident with the white plane behind it. I moved it forward just a hair to be sure it wasn't rendering in the exact same spot. When you have a surface come and go like that, the first thing to check for is if it is coincident with another surface.

The other thing I did was set the camera up so that all the vertical lines on the unit remain perfectly vertical. That gets rid of one significant part of the moire, although some still remains. This is pretty easy to do, but it may be a bit more complicated to explain. Let me see if I can show you how to do that, be right back.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  22:59:02  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
here's a version with the stihl logo cleaned up, and the unit is more angled away from the camera

Image Insert:

80.22 KB

Jean
Go to Top of Page

clintoss
Infrequent Poster

43 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  23:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jean that looks much better. I was having trouble with the logo as i think i grouped the outlined letters in from illustrator when i should not have.

I can try them with this new angle. They did want a higher angle but this turnes out better.

What render settings did you use? I cant help but think that this also had a great effect.
Your background is also white. Have you photoshopped any of this?

Would you mind sending me the file
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  23:17:30  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No Photoshop required. I did my testing on my laptop, but have now moved over to my tower, which has recording software on it. I'm doing a software download, too, before I fire up a screen capture movie. So it will be a bit, but I will record a video to show you how to place the camera in relation to the shelving, and I'll double check my render settings. I did tweak them a little. but I actually think the 2 things I mentioned above are more important.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  23:53:20  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, I'm having awful luck recording a video of how to set your camera. Every time I get it started, my recording software sets off a kernel panic, so this isn't going to work.

It's late here, I'll come back to this in the morning, and at least write up some more info, but I'm very disappointed I cannot make a video. bummer.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

clintoss
Infrequent Poster

43 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  23:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats ok. Jean you've been a great help. Thank you very much! im playing around and am getting better results already. Have a good sleep.
Clint
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  00:01:47  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let me tell you this much: to get a white background instead of a light gray background, go to your preferences, and then to the Windows tab. You now have that background a pale gray. Switch it to pure white to get your OpenGL and Toon renderings to have a white background.

To get the Stihl logo working better, I found the extrusion, and converted it to a bezier surface. This actually made a group, which I opened by double-clicking it. The faces that are rendering with black triangles on their receding surfaces are inverted. I used the flip faces commands on those surfaces to set them right.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 01/28/2010 00:11:11
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  00:47:24  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally got my recording software to work. By now I am quite tired, I ramble a bit... but this shows you how to set the camera as I set mine

http://www.mostly3d.net/test/set_camera_3cut.mov

Jean
Go to Top of Page

clintoss
Infrequent Poster

43 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  20:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jean. Very helpful video. You did sound tired... much appreciated. Im getting the result that the client is looking for now.

Thanks heaps for all your help!

heres my file

http://www.box.net/shared/static/fha08r2fi6.jpg

clint
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1441 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  20:11:30  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad it is working for you now. I wonder if All those fine holes could just be eliminated and replaced with a flat grey color, I suspect ti will look better than the moiré you will get when it is screened at the printers.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  21:08:09  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
His fine holes are actually black squares, but I know what you mean.

That's why I recommend going for a very high render resolution, and no antialiasing. I haven't checked recently, but the standard for line art created as a bitmap used to be 1200 pixels per inch. With no antialiasing, this should not moire at all.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1441 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  21:57:21  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good advice.

Britt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000