UVMAP better view
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

colorjaws
A Regular

173 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  09:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to have a higher resolution of the uvmap window?
I didn't find any thing in the help or forum.

I need to position something very precise on the uvmap but I can't do it because the uv is very Brut resolution.

thanks

MrChristopher
Regularly Educational

USA
1991 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  17:17:38  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, make sure you have the most current update, some changes were made in 7.02 for this specific area.

What you do is configure the renderer for OpenGL. Then with the UV mapping window open, marquee select around the UV grid space. Hold the shift key to bring up the Render dialog and then you can specify the size you want.

It'll render a bitmap of your UV's that can be saved just like any other rendering.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

173 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  06:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did try that but notice that there where sometimes changes in pixel proportion.. but it's maybe me that does something not right :D

thanks for the help
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1157 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  13:04:27  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe try renderings at multiples of 72?

Britt
Go to Top of Page

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4853 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  13:46:19  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you can send you model to Photoshop of you have photoshop extended, and have the plugins installed. You can also open an obj or collada file in photoshop, and access the UVs that way. Honestly, I haven't tried these techniques a lot, because I have only recently upgraded to CS5.

If you should happen to have viaCAD, there is a super-spiffy way to use it as an intermediary between Strata and Illustrator to get a super-precise UV image as live vectors.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
673 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  21:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ViaCad? Interesting! What's that process? I recently upgraded to ViaCad 8 so you have peeked my interest.

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4853 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  22:10:57  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hopper, I'll give you a quick answer now, but can give you more detail tomorrow if you need more.

While you have the UV editor open, export from that window to OBJ. This will export the flat UV representation. What I am not certain of without checking is whether you need to do anything to mark the UV boundaries.

Open the UV OBJ in ViaCAD, then export it back out as .ai or .eps or .dwg. Again, I'd have to check to see which works better. They all work, but some are better than others, and I have ViaCAD 7, so things can vary a bit.

Open this file in Illustrator, set it to its own layer, then build your art over it.

I think you will have to be sure you mark the boundaries in Strata for the UVs before the export, as I mentioned earlier. I can do a little more checking tomorrow.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
673 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  06:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good Jean! I'll let you know about ViaCad 8.

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
673 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  06:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could export to DWG/DXF and it maintained linear segments, disjointed as expected but I got triangles exporting to Illustrator or eps. I must be missing something but very promising!!

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4853 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  09:30:32  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh yes, when you export from viaCAD, be sure you are viewing the model in outline view. If you view it in a filled or shaded view, the polygons will export as filled triangles. In outline view, you get outlines exported, which is what we want.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

jeff631
Infrequent Poster

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  11:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm struggling with getting exact UV maps and I don't have access to viaCAD. Is there another way to export either a super high res bitmap with the guides or export as a vector?

I was following the video about UV mapping a battery and Chris had mentioned he had some other ways to get more exact exports aside from working from a screenshot.
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4853 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  12:01:44  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have Photoshop Extended? I'm looking into another thing or two as well, But Photoshop can help a lot, if you have a recent extended version

Jean
Go to Top of Page

jeff631
Infrequent Poster

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  12:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have CS5 and the beta of CS6. I can open the OBJ file in CS6 no problem, but it doesn't bring it in the correct dimensions of the UV map. If I try to bring the UV image in through the plugin it doesn't seem to do anything.
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4853 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  12:43:37  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It should bring them in, but you may need to do a little fiddling. I am testing this now.

The other thing you can do is drag a render marquee around your UV area, and render it at a higher resolution: say 1024 x 1024 or 2048 x 2048 in OpenGL outline. If you engage the caps-lock key, the cursor for the render tool is more precise

You may have the same issue with that, though. I'll be back with another tip or two.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4853 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  13:13:09  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's my favorite Photoshop way. One thing I can't show you right now is the UVs in wireframe mode. I am running photoshop with OpenGL off, and can't quit and relaunch right now to show you the openGL display of the UVs. But this should work.

In Strata, while you have the UV editor window open, export to OBJ. This will export your flat UVs as a mesh. (That's what I do above in the ViaCAD example as well.)

Open this OBJ in Photoshop Extended (I am using 5.1) and select the Camera zoom tool to access the view settings. Set the view to Front, then to orthographic, and the zoom to 1:1.

This flattens your UVs out to the view plane. If I had OpenGL enabled, I could set the UVs to display on outline, instead of the gray blobs you see below. That would be the obvious choice, but I can't turn OpenGL on to show you right now.

Edit: here is is in OpenGL:
Image Insert:

47.17 KB

Then you just use this as a template, creating your artwork on a layer above it. You can resize the Photoshop file however you need. Mine is at 1024x, but you could scale it up to 2048 or 4096 square to get higher resolution.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 05/18/2012 14:50:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000