New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mpaitich
Infrequent Poster

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  20:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I hope you can help me.. I have a project, which involves applying extremely precise UV maps to some packaging. The packs are basically elongated octahedrons.
I've watched Chris T's Strata Video Training videos on UV mapping, and have dutifully downloaded and become reasonably familiar with Wings 3D (v 1.4).

After all the 'Marking for cuts' and 'stitching', and exporting in OBJ format to Strata, etc, my texture doesn't align at all.

In order to make sure I had the technique down pat, I tried the same exercise with a simple cube (images attached). I created a colour-coded profile of a cube in Illustrator, imported it into Strata, rotated and snapped the six faces into a cube, grouped, converted to a polygon mesh, exported it to Wings, marked all the edges for cuts, sent it to UV Mapping (I tried both Projection Normal and Unfolding) and, referencing the model in both windows, selected edges and stitched them, and finally exported the file as an OBJ.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The texture was copied directly from the cube's exploded Illustrator profile, and pasted into Photoshop, so it should align perfectly.

Does anyone reading this have any suggestions. I don't have enough hair to afford the luxury of pulling more out!..

Image Insert:

13.77 KB

Image Insert:

70.32 KB

mpaitich
Infrequent Poster

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  20:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, me again. I should add that I CTRL-clicked on the UV Mapping command in Wings to force resegmentation. I removed the Wings 3D multi-colored reference once I imported the model into Strata. I created the texture in Strata, and made sure it was set to UV.
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
Regularly Educational

USA
1998 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  01:04:01  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Could you post that cube file for examination?

Thanks,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

mpaitich
Infrequent Poster

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  09:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but how do I post the cube file? 'Insert an Image File' doesn't work.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1157 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  14:26:01  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zip the file. It needs to be under 90K I think. If that is not possible. Post the file some where and put the address here.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
Regularly Educational

USA
1998 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  14:27:21  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You can also send it directly to me mrchristophersea (at) mac (dot) com.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4862 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  15:47:04  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
here's how you post a file. http://stratacafe.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13112

Jean
Go to Top of Page

mpaitich
Infrequent Poster

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  15:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much, Jean. I'm SO saving your post for future reference!
Because my Strata problem involves texture mapping, I need to included the texture, and the combined Strata model and texture ARE too big to post here, but I sent them to Chris T in an email. I've also put the zipped files here:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9836508/Mapping%20Test.zip

I'm stymied. I just can't understand how a simple cube, with a simple texture, can seem so impossible to accurately UV map in Wings 3D! I must be doing something wrong, but I can't see what it could be! It's like I threw a ball in the air, and it didn't come back down!
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
Regularly Educational

USA
1998 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  16:07:32  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that you get this to match in Wings but not in Strata? The unwrapped mesh certainly doesn't match your inverted T-shape art. You should see if your unwrap results are correct while inside Wings3D. Once you've generated the UV, then you would want to export a UV template to base art off.
Go to Top of Page

mpaitich
Infrequent Poster

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  16:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it NECESSARY to generate a texture within Wings to use as a template in Photoshop for building a texture? In your video tutorial about the book jacket, you seemed to indicate that it was sort of optional, based, I guess, on a projects requirements.

I suspect my lack of understanding centers on the edge-marking, unfolding and stitching process. After having imported the cube into Wings, I select the orthographic view, which presents one of the cube's vertical edges toward me. Assuming the cube has been imported right-side-up, how am I to know which of the two faces on either side of that edge is the front face? I would need to know this if I'm supposed to mark the edges for cutting following the 'Inverted-T' of my original texture.

Or am I even supposed to follow that inverted-T? Sigh..You made it look so easy in the video tutorial.

Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
Regularly Educational

USA
1998 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  16:54:56  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For a cube any of the faces can function as the base really. If you look at the attached image, the green lines represent edges that need to open, so those receive cuts. The orange edges fold so remain untouched.

Try a cube using this as a reference.

Image Insert:

22.8 KB
Go to Top of Page

mpaitich
Infrequent Poster

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  17:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your cube, when unfolded, would make a T-shape. In Wings then, can I arbitrarily select any edge of the cube, and start 'marking edge for cut' to my heart's content until I end up with a T-shape, or do I somehow have to reference one particular edge to it's corresponding one in my pre-created texture?
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
Regularly Educational

USA
1998 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  17:06:13  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Once you've got a t-shape, you've got a t-shape. In my illustration I used the logical bottom face as start polygon. Once it's unwrapped into that T-shape then you can lay your texture on it.

Although what Wings is doing to do is orient the t-shape at an angle because it's trying to use the space most efficiently. You'll need to rotate it. The easiest way to do that is to select a single edge (of the UV map), then bring up the context menu and select Rotate -> Chart Y.

After that perform a Scale Max Uniform to get it squarely into the space.
Go to Top of Page

mpaitich
Infrequent Poster

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  17:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh okay. It's beginning to make sense to me. I HAD noticed in an earlier attempt that the t-shape was put into the UV space on an angle, and I figured out that I needed to rotate it, although I didn't know that the Chart option would do it mathematically precisely. NOW I do!!

Thank you so much for the help. I sure wish the manual for Wings were finished. I would devour it voraciously, and become semi-proficient in Wings. Or at least not sucky.
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
Regularly Educational

USA
1998 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  17:18:04  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Which version of Design3D are you using by the way?
Go to Top of Page

mpaitich
Infrequent Poster

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  17:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our company has several licences, and we're considering upgrading to the newer version.
Does it address the former versions UV mapping, uh, idiosyncracies?
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
Regularly Educational

USA
1998 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  17:23:16  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Version 7 has UV mapping, although it's currently not as robust as Wings3D. However for this cube shape version 7 can do this super easy in seconds. That and the renderer, modeler and other areas are improved compared to version 6. It's a very worthwhile upgrade.

Edited by - MrChristopher on 02/29/2012 17:23:51
Go to Top of Page

mpaitich
Infrequent Poster

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  17:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the ACTUAL pack I have to model and map is more complex than the cube; that was just a dumbed-down test so I could learn what I was doing wrong. The actual model looks like this,

Image Insert:

48.19 KB

and will be rendered in this kind of environment

Image Insert:

55.64 KB

with a bump map, environmental reflection yada-yada..
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
Regularly Educational

USA
1998 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  17:36:45  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You could UV map that in Wings, if you had version 7 that would be fairly easy to UV map there also.
Go to Top of Page

mpaitich
Infrequent Poster

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  17:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if my voice counts at this company, we'll upgrade to version 7 within a few weeks/months, and life will be good.
Thanks for all your generous help. It's very appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

michaelbstrauss
Inquisitive

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  20:50:17  Show Profile  Visit michaelbstrauss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let me say, upgrading to ver 7 is easily worth just the UV mapping tool...you could map your product in no time with it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000